www.malaysianidentity.com    .    Exploration of Malaysian Design + Culture + Products

nurul

Site Admin Posts: 88 Joined: 20 Sep 2006 Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post subject: What are our day to day culture?

Posted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 5:00 pm

Well i guess we can start with Malaysian Food Culture . That can be used as an attraction of branding Malaysia. One of my Aussie friend, Nick, spent half a year in Malaysia for his exchange programme in Universiti Sains Malaysia (USM). Until now, after nearly 5 years, he's still talking about the tasty and delicious 'Char Koey Teow' and 'Roti', this two dishes are his favourites. And this is one of his statement, i mean he said this all the time, not only to me, but to others, his families, his friends 'Best food in the world - is in Malaysia'. Of course everytime if he says this, if i'm around I feel so proud to be Malaysian. And thanks to our food culture, that reminds Malaysia to people. Perhaps in this forum we can write like a story. Yes indeed people - Just tell it like a story, but a true story...once upon a time...long long time ago...

Reply with quoteView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website

xavier

Post subject:

Posted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 9:21 pm

It's funny you talk about it...
Today, at work, I talked with an indonesian colleague, she's from Jakarta, but studied her high school and college in Penang, before to come to Australia. She told me that she misses the food a lot!
I spent a month there, but I think, that if I did stay longer, I would be addicted too... Maybe I'll stay longer next time Wink

Reply with quoteView user's profileSend private message

nurul

Post subject:

Posted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 3:08 pm

hmm...Xavier, you should spent more time there... Wink Penang is well known as 'Food Heaven' in Malaysia. But there is also other state like 'East Coast', North and South Malaysia that have differernt interesting food culture. I think that's is one of the reason whats make Malaysia is an interesting country (for people who have been there).
What about shopping in Malaysia?

Proton

Post subject:

Posted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 8:00 pm

Food in Penang, tiada tandingan. That is why people said 'Penang is the food heaven'.
Nak tau, mai la tanjung! Pekena laksa penang, nasi kandar, satay, rojak penang, banyak lagi la...

mingalababya

Posts: 7 Joined: 06 Nov 2006 Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post subject:

Posted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 7:43 pm

Ya, very true. I remember as kid going back to my gandmother's kampong at Bukit Mertajam, we always looked forward to having Laksa Penang. The Laksa Penang seller would ride around the kampong on his motor bike with his mobile stall in tow tooting his horn after which, we would all rush out of the house to meet him. A bowl would cost around 10 sen and he would wait for us to finish eating (so that she could collect his bowl) before heading off again. Aye .. those were the days. Very Happy

winda

Post subject: food food..the best about it

Posted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 2:59 pm

I agree when we talk about malaysian food especially Penang food. I am not trying to be bias eventhough i sound like it now..
Not because I am a Penangite but it is 100% true when we talk about Penang food. I have to break my diet when I am back in Penang. Let me name a few of the popular food in Penang ; Nasi Kandar ( u can definitely get GOOD Nasi Kandar anywhere in Penang), laksa Penang, Rojak (when i say rojak means rojak buah,especially in Gurney Drive) , Pasembor, Ais Kacang, Char Kuey Teow, Mee mamak, Nasi Dalca, all kinds of soup ahhh.. dah meleleh air liur dah ni..slurppp...sedapnya.. Laughing

Reply with quoteView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailYahoo MessengerMSN Messenger

nurul

Post subject:

Posted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:58 am

Hmmm....both of you makes my 'air liur' meleleh...just thinking about food in Penang,this is because Penang is my home town, I think i'm getting home sick now..well actually food home sick..hehehe
By the way I'm from Bukit Mertajam too...I ' teringat' remember the 'bihun sup' in Alma. The small traditional Malay house made from wood is still there last year when I ' balik kampung'. And I manage to find time to ' rasa' taste the ' bihun sup' vermicelli in soup. Soooo Goood! Nothing like the 'bihun sup' in Alma. Of course there is more, not only 'bihun sup' in Alma but also 'mee ketam' 'crab noodle' at the entrace of Hutan Lipur Bukit Mertajam. It started with only a small stall but now it grow to a shop, still a tiny shop I would saw. But alway full of people. Also if you arrive late, the shop only open from 3pm to 6pm. usually by 6pm the 'mee ketam' is finish. Gosh I miss the 'mee ketam' now! Ok I think I better stop making others 'air liur meleleh'. hmmm I wonder what about food in other state? You know like from Esat Coast- Kelantan, Terenganu, Pahang? Or how about the South like Negeri Sembilan, or Selangor? I know in Negeri Sembilan they have ' Rendang Negori' which is taste superb. Very much different from the 'Rendang' from North like 'Rendang Tok' .....

mingalababya

Post subject:

Posted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 5:50 pm

Wow! Small world, Nurul. My grandmother's kampung is also in Alma .. it's Kampung Kijang. Have you heard of it? It's near the kilang kain. There used to be a pasar malam there on Sundays .. that was back in the 70's and early 80's .. not sure about now, though.

nurul

Post subject:

Posted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 6:14 pm

Of course I know about Kampung Kijang, that's my playground. I know that 'kilang kain' but the kilang wont last long, then the technologies era came and the kilang changed to another chip making factory. But the 'pasar malam' night market is still there. I managed to go there the last time I went back to Alma. My kampung is Kamoung Baru, where 'kilang kicap' is. They still have it until now. That's good, at least they managed to maintain the kilang kicap all these years. Nowadays, these areas are so much develop, not like Kampung anymore. You can see the new 'taman' housing area everywhere. We have 'Taman Alma Jaya', 'Taman Kijang' 'Taman Kota Permai' and many other 'taman'. And also not to forget, 'nasi kandar' have also travel from 'Penang Island' to Alma. Every where is 'Nasi Kandar'. But 'Nasi Campur' and 'Nasi Kampung' is still there, they survived. If you happen to go there again, in the morning, like around 7am, on the road side at 'Kampung Alma' entrance near the 'gate keretapi' railways gate, you can see a small shop selling all these for 'sarapan pagi' breakfast. So many cakes, sweets like ketayap, cucur kodok, buah melaka, tepung talam, seri muka, pulut inti and many more. And my favorite is the 'nasi lemak'. So good....gosh I miss it...

Proton

Post subject:

Posted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 6:35 pm

I heard in Bukit Mertajam there is the best 'Char Koay Teow' in Penang. They called it 'Char Koay Teow AlkaRia'. Because of the rumours, I actually went down to have a look and experiences it myself. Wow, that's the best 'Char Koay Teow' I ever tasted. I recomment that place. Don't know if it's still as good as before now days. That was 2 years ago.

mingalababya

Post subject:

Posted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 8:40 am

It's great to hear of past stories about Alma in Bukit Mertajam. We used to go there on our visits 'home' during the 70's and 80's. It's been almost 10 years since I was last there. After my grandparents meninggal, I've not been back there since. The last time was in 1997 and during that time a housing estate was under construction just beyond where my grandmother's house is.

After reading all this, I'm very tempted to visit Alma again soon and visit the places you've all mentioned in this thread. I have a trip to Myanmar in January and I may divert to Penang for a few days to get a glimpse of what Kampong Kijang looks like now before it becomes totally absorbed by housing development. I'm sure the kampong will no longer be there in the near future as further housing development expands. All that will remain will be my memories of kampong life; the fun times I had with our distant relatives when we played soccer outside the surau; cycling on the dirt tracks around the kampong; guys singing and playing their guitars on the verandahs outside their homes; sigh ...

Kampong Kijang's identity is changing with the times ... is this a snap shot of what's happening to Malaysian identity throughout Malaysia?

nurul

Post subject:

Posted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 4:35 pm

Quote:
Kampong Kijang's identity is changing with the times ... is this a snap shot of what's happening to Malaysian identity throughout Malaysia?

Bro Ming this is interesting. Malaysian do changed slowly, no doubt the identity and the way of life. Why do identity matters?

Proton

Post subject:

Posted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 2:00 pm

Very interesting
Quote:
Why do identity matters?
Do we need identity to project ourself? Do identity represent our contents of tradition and culture to others?

nurul

Post subject: Transformation of Identities

Posted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:42 am

Identity represent certain group of people, an image or a history behind the group. Identity evolved and changed through time. My defination of my identity can be different to my mother defination of identity. It changes through generation and through many different reasons. There are many different identity. It doesn't have to be one identity. In fact, the mixture of different identity might creates another identity.

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Page 1 of 1    

View previous topic   View next topic