www.malaysianidentity.com    .    Exploration of Malaysian Design + Culture + Products

nurul

Site Admin Posts: 88 Joined: 20 Sep 2006 Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post subject: Malaysia - "Dulu dan Kini" (Past and Present)

Posted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 5:33 pm

Have you remember playing congkak, batu seremban, galah panjang, tarik upih and all these olden days games? I did, and I can remember how much fun I had at that time. Just a bit sad thinking of my nephew and nieces or perhaps the new generation is missing these. All I can see now is Barbie Doll, Spiderman, Power Ranger, Doremon etc. Are we missing something here? I would like to qoute from Korff, Rudiger in his paper ' Globalisation and Communal identities in the prural society of Malaysia' might relates to this scenario.
Quote:
Expressions of globalisation and modernisation in monuments like the Menara Kuala Lumpur, Petronas Towers and Kuala Lumpur International Airport (KLIA) contrast sarply with warnings against for-reaching cultural change. Such cultural change is seen to be rooten in a mimicking of the west and reflected, for instance, in the dissolution of traditional bonds within the family.

Reply with quoteView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website

Proton

Post subject:

Posted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 7:52 pm

I do remember how P.Ramlee movies use to be the fashion in my childhood time. Time, people, places has changed, indeed! Rolling Eyes

Reply with quoteView user's profileSend private message

izworkz

Post subject: Ummm....

Posted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 2:56 pm

I represent the Y generation and I seriously never really had the experience of enjoying really Malaysian traditional games... aside from batu seremban (Seremban is also a name of a place in Malaysia), congkak, and getah? (can't remember the name). But I really enjoyed Galah Panjang. I hurt myself a lot while playing this game when i was about 8 or 9 y.o. Hahahha!!!

I remember now! Konda-kondi is also another game that I had loads of fun playing. it really is a good and fun way to learn math!

Reply with quoteView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's websiteYahoo MessengerMSN Messenger

Chris Kueh

Post subject:

Posted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 7:48 pm

This is interesting. I am wondering if anyone has any good source on the history of design/artefacts in Malaysia? If the answer is no, or little, maybe it's time we need to have a review on our own design culture! This is important because it will help us understand more about the role of design in our country, before we can actually promote/brand them!

-chris

Reply with quoteView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mail

nurul

Site Admin Posts: 88 Joined: 20 Sep 2006 Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post subject:

Posted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 1:55 pm

I'm agree with you Chris, I wonder if we can dig the information on the history of design in Malaysia. Would be interesting to see how it evolved..

Reply with quoteView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Page 1 of 1    

View previous topic   View next topic