www.malaysianidentity.com    .    Exploration of Malaysian Design + Culture + Products

nurul

Site Admin Posts: 88 Joined: 20 Sep 2006 Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post subject: Hawker Style Food

Posted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 9:52 pm

Malaysia, the culture of food is well known by most of the people who have been there. One of the Malaysian famous hawker style is Satay (bbq meat with peanut sauce). Just think about it makes me hungry. Satay is now is recognised as one of Malaysian cuisine. Not only in hawker style or in night market, but in restaurant and in five star hotel. Satay also can be in different taste depending on the state. This is because, in Malaysia, different state do have their own different taste. Some states are more spicy, some more sweet, and some in the way they prepare or cook the satay.
Hmmm..what else is Malaysian cuisine that started from hawker style and night market?

Bagi pelawat yang pernah ke Malaysia, sememangnya Malaysia sangat terkenal dengan budaya makan. Antara makanan Malaysia yang terkenal ialah satay yang dimasak di gerai atau di pasar malam. Hanya teringatkan Satay buat saya lapar. Satay kini dikenali bukan saja dari gerai atau di pasar malam, malah di restauran dan di hotel lima bintang. Satay juga boleh didapati dengan rasa yang berbeza, bergantung kepada negeri di Malaysia. Tiap-tiap negeri mempunyai rasa yang berbeza. Ada yang lebih pedas, ada yang lebih manis, ada pula yang cara penyediaan yang berbeza.
Hmmm apa lagi masakan Malaysiayang bermula dari gerai dan pasar malam?

Reply with quoteView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website

phayung

Post subject: hawker food

Posted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 10:56 pm

Hawker food?? hmmmm.......
I think wat i like most is When hari raya, the pasar malam or ramadhan pasar malam is very interesting.
The pasar malam i went to is in Sarawak, kuching,
Wat i like most at that pasar malam is they cook on spot.
For example, Ikan bakar, bakar kambing........daging and all those other food. they bakar on spot.
It is like watching a show, the preparation show.

Enjoy whenever u are visiting any hawker center or hawker stall.

[/img]

Reply with quoteView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteYahoo MessengerMSN Messenger

nurul

Site Admin Posts: 88 Joined: 20 Sep 2006 Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post subject:

Posted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 6:25 pm

I like the idea of 'a little bit' of show while we shop for food. It makes me hungry just only thinking about it. I remember hawker food preparing 'satay' or 'laksa' or 'roti canai' on the spot. It's fresh and tempting. You should make use of this idea for your research. As I mention in the other post, Penang is a good place for you to study the hawker style. And also in Penang there are many different food style too.
Picture taken in 2001, the old Gurney Drive Hawker style food court. Now they move it temporary to another area because the city council is building the place for a better food court. I still prefer the old one.

Reply with quoteView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Page 1 of 1    

View previous topic   View next topic