www.malaysianidentity.com    .    Exploration of Malaysian Design + Culture + Products

phayung

Post subject: What you think a Heritage food center should have?

Posted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 11:13 pm

Heritage food center, my design project in Seremban.
Seremban, the old town, is a very unique town with the poeple living harmony there and themost famous food there is Shao pao!!

In our Heritage food center, we have propose spaces like a food gallery , dining area , gourmet area , multi purpose hall and other services spaces.

the client wanted to promote the most precious part of the malaysian cuisine in the center and she wanted to emphasize on the environment of dining and the whole process of preparation of the food, and help other visitors to understand the heritage food in seremban or malaysia depending how the designers definite it.

help me to verify the definition of Heritage Food center, wat should i emphasize in that restaurant?wat type of malaysian cuisine should i emphasize? The combination of Malay, chinese and indians? or the combinatiion food of?????

this is our site model

i will try to include more photo on our site

Reply with quoteView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteYahoo MessengerMSN Messenger

nurul

Site Admin Posts: 88 Joined: 20 Sep 2006 Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post subject:

Posted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 6:21 pm

Hey Pahyung, well done and good job! Yes indeed more photo will be good to have clearer view about your idea. I reckon if you would say the combination food of Malay, Chinese and Indian is hard, because all of us have our own speaciality. That the ingredient of Malaysia. The mixture of all. But you can sort of start for a bit with 'ABC' or 'Ais Batu Kacang'. I remember one of my lecturer in the uni, Dr. Najib, always use ABC as a metaphor of Malaysian culture. He said it's the same as 'rojak'. Malaysian is the mixture of three main race. Look and study food culture in Penang, you will find many things take as example for your research. I'm sure in Seremban you also have the food culture, like the spicy food. Perhaps you can briefly explain from your personal experiences what is the Seremban food culture like. What kind of food or cuisine that the 'Serembanian' prefer?

Reply with quoteView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website

nurul

Post subject:

Posted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 6:29 pm

Can you let some of your friend to join the forum too? Would be good to have them discussing about their project in this forum. Laughing

mingalababya

Posts: 7 Joined: 06 Nov 2006 Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post subject:

Posted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 8:05 am

This sounds like a very interesting project. Do you have the proposed floor plan of your heritage food centre?

Proton

Post subject:

Posted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:40 pm

Yes indeed! this project sound very interesting! Can you put in more information about your project? Shocked

Reply with quoteView user's profileSend private message

phayung

Post subject: sorry

Posted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:50 pm

yaya, this project also sound interesting to me.
further plans havent get out yet, as the design programmes will start at the end of DEcember.
I am now looking for new ideas and opinions from other MAlaysians, or even foreigners. Now, we are stil at the stage of doing research, like site visit to restaurant, and back to Seremban again.

I appreciated all the opinions gained from u all.
I will try to update any new informations on to it and i hope to get new respond.

p/s: the new gourmet festivals is now holding in KL. But, it is very expensive event for students like us, but the exchanging ideas on food is very interesrintg. http://www.malaysiagourmetfest.com/

Reply with quoteView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteYahoo MessengerMSN Messenger

izworkz

Post subject: Malaysian Gourmet Festival.

Posted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 2:45 pm

If only I was in Kl during the festival, I would go visit and have a ball stuffing myself... (Note to self: Stop thinking about food)

Iz

Reply with quoteView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's websiteYahoo MessengerMSN Messenger

nurul

Post subject:

Posted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 6:08 pm

LOL Smile Welcome to our forum Iz, finally! Very Happy
Indeed it's too expensive for middle class student like me. But we still have many choices Phayung. Your idea of creating a hawker style kind of 'food court' is great. I think you just need to really design the interior layout to create the 'hawker style' look and feel. You should develop that idea deeper.
Wink

phayung

Post subject: bad news

Posted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 4:07 pm

There is a sudden change in our programmes.
And this HEritage Food Center proposal will not be carried out by us anymore.
WE will be continued on our previous architecture design projects which is the community center and get deeper into the technical part of the building.
It is a sad news for me as i m so excited if i can be involved in the food center projects.
I dont know whether closing this topic or continuing having all your opinions are the better choice.
Sad ask for suggestion from master:nurul
sorry for inconvience!

nurul

Post subject:

Posted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 3:00 pm

Phayung, I really think the 'Hawker Food' Idea is very interesting. It's a shame. Even though you not doing it anymore, we can still discuss and put our thought in this topic. Might give you some idea for future. Do you have any experiences in 'Pasar Tani'? I created another topic about Pasar Tani in Malaysia. Perhaps some thought in this topic?

xavier

Post subject: Re: bad news

Posted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 1:40 pm

Sorry to here that you lost this project, I loved the idea of an hawker style restaurant. I see more and more restaurants opening their kitchen to the view of the guests, and I really enjoyed the smell and the art of the hawker cooks. Maybe need to be careful though... In Thailand, when the wind went through the building, I found myself crying and sneezing as the spices came suddenly from the kitchen...
But well, keep it on the side for further project indeed...

phayung wrote:
WE will be continued on our previous architecture design projects which is the community center

You proposed to stop the subject, maybe not under food, but I think that a community center project can be a good topic for this forum... Is this in Seremban too? with the same complex? community center... Do you introduce a Kedai Kopi? Nurul seemed to miss this as THE place for people to gather and spend time...

Reply with quoteView user's profileSend private message

phayung

Post subject: Heritage food center

Posted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 5:58 pm

thanks NURUL and others.
Seremban HEritage food center under my own definition will be a center which collects recipes of different ethnics in Malaysia,for example those exotic recipe of some traditional races which we seldom hear before.

I growth up in Sarawak, so take Sarawak as an example, if the name change into Sarawak Heritage food center , i will like to collect some tradtional recipes of IBAN, MURUT........and amend them.

The dining environment is very important.So different type of spaces to invite and create different feeling of dining.
OPen kitchen is one of them, where people can enjoy their food while peeping at how the chefs cooks.
Heritage food center will be a combination of high class gourmet style and some street class dining style which suit to all different people in MALaysia. Very Happy
Pasar tani, is those pasar malam style place which mainly sell their products of planting?

nurul

Post subject:

Posted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:59 pm

Hmmm, loves the idea of having this kind of centre for food. I'm sure even the people in Sarawak didnt know about the traditional recipes, or maybe missing them. Since the fast-food culture start growing in Malaysia the traditional food have been left behind. This ideas will create balance back the food culture in Malaysia. Also we can even exchange the different traditional recipes between different state. I'm already feeling hungry now! Been missing Penang 'Char Koay Teow' lately.
Laughing
And yes, 'Pasar tani' (Farmers Market) is similar to 'Pasar Malam' Night Market but it's in the day time and the farmers sell the fresh vegetables, fruits and poultries, sometimes from their own farm. Sometimes it's organic too. What do you know about Pasar Tani (Farmers Market), Phayung? Do you have Pasar Tani in Sarawak?

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Page 1 of 1    

View previous topic   View next topic