www.malaysianidentity.com    .    Exploration of Malaysian Design + Culture + Products

Aziz

Post subject: Malaysians and Foreigners

Posted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 4:15 pm

It could be interesting to find out how Malaysians think about the topic in comparison to foreigners familiar with Malaysia and Malaysian culture, design and branding. Would there be any differences in opinion ? Why or why not ?

Reply with quoteView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mail

nurul

Site Admin Posts: 88 Joined: 20 Sep 2006 Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post subject: response to Aziz

Posted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 5:42 pm

Thanks Aziz, that's very interesting to look at, and will be good to have some opinion from non-Malaysian about Malaysia!

Reply with quoteView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website

Aziz

Post subject:

Posted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 5:42 pm

I'm a 'non-Malaysian' but living in Malaysia almost 2 centuries, not sure to which group I'm counted.
Coming back to topic, the 'branding' of the country is done in quite a divers way. The tourism industry emphasises much on the multi-cultural aspect, whereas the Government depicts Malaysia through the type of architecture of mega projects (e.g. KLIA, KLCC, KL-Tower, Sepang F1) in a more 'non-typical Malay' way ... much adopting the perspective of 'Wawasan 2020' and looking ahead to be established as a fully industrialised country.
Well, different objectives, different projection of culture and image - equalling different branding.

Reply with quoteView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mail

Nasya

Post subject:

Posted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 7:42 pm

I like Aziz's post. It's very true that images of multiculturalism are a strong component of the Malaysian "brand". Tourism advertisements invoke a melange of images signifying the melting pot composition of Malaysian society. At the same time, the government invokes a techno-determinist ideology in its push to attain Malaysia's development goals.

Reply with quoteView user's profileSend private message

nurul

Post subject:

Posted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 8:25 pm

From what Nasya and Aziz wrote...I wonder the impact it will give to the citizen...the new generation...I mean the lifestyle, the culture, the way of live..mentality...etc..

Idea Shocked

Proton

Post subject:

Posted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:40 am

Hmmm...that is interesting to think about.. My personal point of view...it have to be balances in any way...the development...the way of life and the religion..
I think we need it all...and try to sustain it.. Surprised Shocked Another 'issues' about Malaysian... We Malaysian love creating new terms, new invention, new ideas and policies...but do we really sustain it?
I stil remeber about ' Inflasi Sifar' and 'Buatan Malaysia' campaign...where is it now..do we actually maintained and sustained it? Or may be we came out with another ideas?

Last edited by Proton on Thu Oct 12, 2006 9:09 pm; edited 1 time in total

Reply with quoteView user's profileSend private message

nurul

Post subject:

Posted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:49 pm

Wow! Proton...interesting post to think about!

Idea

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Page 1 of 1    

View previous topic   View next topic