www.malaysianidentity.com    .    Exploration of Malaysian Design + Culture + Products

Aziz

Post subject: The "HALAL" branding

Posted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 5:14 pm

Malaysia does obviously have due to its predominant Muslim population a great advantage to market its products in the food industry especially in Arab and other Muslim countries. "Halal" is actually not a branding, rather than a certification by the relevant authorities that food is 'halal', means safe for Muslims to eat, and is applied commonly on those products that comply with the conditions set out by Muslim bodies. Having this 'halal' certificate, one can "brand" its products as such and hence open markets easily in the predominant muslim world.

Reply with quoteView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mail

nurul

Site Admin Posts: 88 Joined: 20 Sep 2006 Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post subject: Halal Food

Posted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 2:22 pm

Hmmm... That's very interesting to look at..Most of the food product from Malaysian is HALAL, this is a oportunity for Malaysian businessman to extend their market to international..

Reply with quoteView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website

Proton

Post subject:

Posted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:43 am

I wonder why...when i'm out oversea...I can't see much Malaysian Product..I mean Malaysian Brand...expecially the Halal product...

Reply with quoteView user's profileSend private message

Aziz

Post subject:

Posted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 10:13 am

That's why there is still a huge potential for Malaysia to market the 'halal branding' overseas. In fact they have just recently made some efforts after realising this opportunity.
A side effect could well be with foreign muslims - discovering on a halal product the 'Made in Malaysia' info - eventually contributing to the extend of increasing tourism.
Maybe we should earmark here the issue of 'Halal', a cetification of a Muslim body becoming a 'brand', a kind of trademark for the country, with a variety of positive side effects.

The key issue is here that the 'halal branding' is not related to one particular product, but to an entire range of export opportunities. That is extremely uncommon for what is generally understood as 'branding'.

Reply with quoteView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mail

nurul

Site Admin Posts: 88 Joined: 20 Sep 2006 Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post subject: This article is taken from Brand New Malaysia

Posted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 4:10 pm

by Mack Zulkifli, March 18, 2005 http://www.brandmalaysia.com/

I find this is a very much interesting.
Circumstatial occurences that effect a brand
The halal logo extends itself far more than mere edible food according to the religious beliefs of billions of Muslims around the world. It is a brand. That means it is also two other things. It is trust. It is money.
And Big money. Really big money. I am not messing around with the amount of money it entails. I have four clients with a collective export value exceeding USD 150 million around the region that depend on the trust accorded to the halal logo. That kind of money provides for their employees a lot of safety, even in terms of earning a 'halal' income to feed their families. Feeding them 'halal' food that is.
The global halal food market is estimated to be USD 500 billion a year, and according to this article, the emphasis on this market goes up to the very top of Malaysia's leadership.
Just look at what "The Star" speaks of the halal food market in it's coverage of the 2005 budget. Seriously, this is just the 'skin of the sausage' pardon the pun. This problem might lead to a larger, more damaging context than sausages in IKEA. The implications is enormous, to say the very least. That, my dear readers, is how important trust is in this particular brand. Thus, it is without undue concern that I link realpolitik to the efforts of branding here. Realbranding, used in similar terms as realpolitik, would be the expansionist agenda of policy implementation to protect or advance the collective interest in the brand, in this case halal food and the halal brand.
Let us not forget that we do have competitors, and no matter how friendly that be, competitors are competitors, and will thrive on every mistake you make. This mistake, should any smarty-pants competitor feel like a smear campaign, is costly, to say the least. Our closest neighbours, Indonesia, is eyeing this market, at least if this report from the Jakarta Post dated 7th of February 2005 is to be believed.
A key actionable strategy that follows this must be the utilisation of media, policy-making mechanism and heavy enforcement to reinvoke trust back into the brand, otherwise, Malaysia's call for branding would only be lip service, cosmetics used to paint a pretty picture.
A brand is holistic and every incident that effects it is a potent feature in the entire brand story. This example clearly defines the manner it works. Very clearly. So clearly that I have decided to feature it as an article entirely on it's own to demonstrate how foolish you have to be if you think branding is merely those cute ads your agency cooks up and how many little trophies they bring back, clios, goldlions or kancils, regardless. All those statues, and the meaningless superbrand certificate you have hanging on your wall, will not help humpty dumpty when he takes a great fall.
Actionable strategies that mitigate against risks like this is far reaching and requires a deeper involvement and commitment to the brand. It requires a thinking that encompasses the factors that revolve around the success of the brand, and not merely ads that a 'twopenny-halfpenny' agency can create. It requires thinking. Realbranding , think for a moment about it. When this kind of thing hits the fan, some really desperate steps need to be taken to ensure the brand is not damaged. Am I right or am I right.
Credit on Mack Zulkifli, 2005

Reply with quoteView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Page 1 of 1    

View previous topic   View next topic